1. Pray. This is your best weapon. Pray before you decide, before you call for appointment, before and after the visit.
2. Call early. Getting an appointment with a development is not easy. It may take months before you could get a schedule. If you're still thinking and still to wait-and-see, I suggest not. Grab the phone and call right away. Having doubts is also a good reason set an appointment.
3. Read. There are forums, blogs, articles, etc. that tackle development of a child. These will give a insight on what could be the case with your child. But don't rely on these too much. You should still wait for the what the doctor would say.
4. Prepare the cash. A devped's professional fee is expensive. During our initial visit, we paid P3,500. And, if the doctor would recommend a therapy for your child, each session costs P600-P800 depending on the therapy center. Usual therapy is being done 2x a week for 6 months.
5. Talk to your child. I did this before we went to the doctor. I told my child that we will be going to the doctor and she should cooperate. And, I prayed that my child would show her behavior so the doctor could give the right assessment.
6. Be honest. Tell all your observation (whatever it is) to the doctor. Don't hide anything. It won't help in the assessment.
7. Trust. Accept your doctor's assessment. You may have different opinion but be reminded that s/he is a professional giving her diagnosis to help your child. You can ask for second opinion but better if you go ahead with the recommendation of your doctor.
8. Allot time. If ever your child needs intervention, it would take much of your time. Unless, you have someone who would bring your child to the therapy center.
9. Ready yourself and the household. Our doctor advised us to be cooperative with the intervention. We should strictly follow the advice of the therapist at all time. If one says no, all must agree that it is a no. Consistency is the key.
I do hope the above tips help. I am one with you in praying that everything will turn out well. We all want the best for our child/children, right?
I do hope the above tips help. I am one with you in praying that everything will turn out well. We all want the best for our child/children, right?
this is so timing! we were referred din to consult with a devped last October, until now, we haven't been there yet. a bit anxious and in denial din perhaps? thanks for posting this =)
TumugonBurahinYou're welcome and sorry for the late reply. I hope you already got your schedule with the DevPed. Trust me, it's the best you can do to your child and to your self. (inassume ko na na mommy ka na at anak mo siya) God bless.
Burahin